Milo V1.5 CNC Bench Mill - Water Cooled

PFarm

Posted (edited)

If anyone is interested in this tool setter it has two normally closed switches yellow and white switch#1 brown and green is switch#2.

image.png.5931e7016ff4c765b421859ed25e29c6.png

IMG_2184.JPG

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I installed most of the heat inserts today, I'd sourced the hardware kit from Aliexpress. It only came with the longer M3 heat inserts the LDO kits have both the short and long ones. The short ones are used for mounting the drag chains, I had the short ones so it wasn't an issue. The T8 bushings for the X backlash are coming with the two 550mm lead screws I ordered.

IMG_2198.thumb.JPG.8181cc2e1c99ccdab5353be99dc1b669.JPG

Note: Installing the M3 insert into the three backlash parts, required drilling the holes with a #17 bit so the M3 heat insert would sit properly. The M3 insert once installed pushes the plastic into the hole of the T8 leadscrew bushing. A 10mm reamer would have been a better tool to clean out the hole but I used a 13/32" bit to get the clearance back.

IMG_2186.thumb.JPG.abe5d5211016c723d083aafe5e372983.JPG

Hard to see in the photo but the plastic bulges into the T8 bushing hole.

IMG_2185.thumb.JPG.10b96f89d7e286be25f3a1e26045fa49.JPG

All of the other holes for the heat inserts didn't require drilling to properly install them.

IMG_2197.thumb.JPG.3092b0b5f0f628ab086382c83955528f.JPG

I printed a mount for the 221-413 Wagos this makes the high voltage supply to the VFD neater and simpler. I thought the LDO printed parts guide had the Wago mount listed but couldn't find it. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

IMG_2199.thumb.JPG.3a5d5451d40b3d45dfbb74f396078b3e.JPGScreenshot2024-04-08at1_10_48PM.thumb.png.319f3ccb1271e6159c8abd093a154594.png

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

@PFarm Have you seen the enclosure for the Milo 1.5 (still in Beta but looking good.

image.thumb.png.639c4cca84eb5510657f0d9c0e1ed6dc.png     image.thumb.png.8d9f4af3f4d90fe654dc6fa2bf0edafb.png

Latest update on my kit (as of today) - Will be arriving at Melbourne port on 10th May, then another week or two to ship to the reseller, then another week before I can lay hands on it. Arrrghhhh!!!

• Like 3

Yes, I have seen it and the plan is to build one eventually. Looking forward to your Milo build. My next purchase is the balance of the extrusion and start assembly. The final part order will be the spindle.

• Like 1

Just priced up all the extrusions for the enclosure - it's not cheap - about $AUD300 (Makerstore Australia - they'll drill the blind holes and tap all extrusions to 5mm) - but I know I'll do it 😄, Keeping an eye out for your build. I haven't even started printing the parts yet - might have to get my ass in gear.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PFarm said:

@mvdveer I have these jigs that I've purchased from 3D Printing Canada that allow me to drill blind holes and tape the extrusion. Jig Video

Not a bad implementation of a jig system and for anyone that's not a designer type... they're a good tool to have. I had to laugh a little when he said, "Open Builds came up these side plates..." and I was like, Whaaaat? Bosch and 8020 were making that stuff 20 years before Al Gore invented the internet. 😆 Alas, I digress... Power tapping the ends is a no brainer but having the TAP bushing to get the tap running straight is a good idea and having a jig for the blind holes is super helpful. Almost a requirement if you want things consistent. But that's not to say that you can't design a jig or two for certain tasks yourself, I mean they're only right angles and holes.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Have you seen the enclosure for the Milo 1.5

Well... That is a bummer... I was expecting a nice small machine, with a cute little enclosure.

This looks huge.. As if it needs its own room for CNC'ing 😐

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dirk said:

Well... That is a bummer... I was expecting a nice small machine, with a cute little enclosure.

This looks huge.. As if it needs its own room for CNC'ing 😐

You have to factor in the bed XY limits of the machine inside the enclosure plus a little extra so even though the Milo looks small in the photo... the amount space you need for the X axis is going to be 3 times as wide as the machine when it's idle with the bed centered.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Penatr8tor said:

You have to factor in the bed XY l

Yes sir! I completely forgot about the bedslinger properties.. Thanks for reminding! but then still.. it looks as if it requires its own room... then a vacuum system on top of it... and a sound proof isolation and so on...

• Like 1

This is reminding me of my own current planning (resin printer), and one of the surprises on some car mod projects. "Oh, so you got that supercharger on a good deal? Cool. Did you budget all the supporting mods so you don't blow your engine up 30 seconds after starting it?" It's all those supporting mods that kill your budget for money and space. 😆

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

15MGN Linear rails with medium preload came in today, I got a nice $120.00 discount when I ordered these from Aliexpress. The cost was $93.00 CND. The remaining extrusions (2040/2080) have been ordered and should arrive tomorrow. I can now cut the longer extrusions down to lengths, de-burr and tap.

IMG_2280.thumb.JPG.b9d5019d342722be181654a6f7f53b75.JPG

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

This is a good deal. That's <$25 per rail. 😎👍

Yes, they had a discount on their site the day I bought these. I don't know if they made a mistake programming the discount, I was sketical that they wouldn't even ship them but they did.

Screenshot2024-05-22at2_53_38PM.thumb.png.a60a05f859b83d5c6eb8de06e6ba7331.png

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The 2040 and 2080 extrusion has arrived. 2 x 500mm 2040, 1 x 2000mm 2040 and 1 x 2000mm 2080.  I'll cut 2 x 580mm out of the 2000mm 2040 and 3 x 580mm out of the 2000mm 2080. These are for the (table) base of the mill.

IMG_2281.thumb.JPG.ef0a3bbfbb7f1508cf54b02cf884ebf8.JPG

A filament order arrived as well. I'm going to give Sigma D3D prototype filament a try.

IMG_2284.thumb.JPG.2ce644e96da86757adfeaff2cb92047f.JPG

I cleaned and lubricated the linear rails.

IMG_2285.thumb.JPG.a207337e020af4208afc829ba85f9852.JPG

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Thanks go out to @mvdveer for confirming the FMJ plate's dimensions. I've placed the order this morning with SendCutSend and it's being processed.

Screenshot2024-05-24at1_42_27PM.png.a5d459e7dcd3627bf7cd1fa21ac47e06_cleanup.png.be2ceaadb9d8f45998078d9cd9e886ba.png

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 2

One item I've not been able to source is the bottom panel for the mill. I cannot find a step file for it and when I asked on Discord was told I could extract it from the CAD file. There is no bottom cover in the CAD file so need to figure out how to extract the dimensions I need to design a bottom cover then have one fabricated.

image.png.0031f4a5921c9a08b62baa3069ebdd5d.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Dirk said:

I am sure @Penatr8tor knows how to create a negative /mold with two clicks in fusion 🙂

Yes I'm sure he does he's amazing when it comes to this stuff! I've requested on the GitHub page to add this step file.

Edited by PFarm
  • Thanks 1

@PFarm I have to go and vote and rid the world of the tyranny of "The Man" and get some lunch. I have the Milo CAD file uploading to Fusion. When I get back, I'll see if it's in the file and just hidden or if it's indeed missing. If it's the latter, I will model up a quick bottom plate for you.

😎👍

• Voron FTW! 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@Penatr8tor Can you get rid of our tyrant in Canada? He's divided our country so badly but people are starting to wake up and see what he's really about (himself). He'd love to turn this country into China so he can rule at the snap of his finger. He's got to go!

I appreciate your help with the bottom cover.

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 2

@PFarm I hear ya. The only thing we can do is vote right!? Or vote right 😆 It certainly is an interesting time to be alive. I could go on...

So, I checked the Milo model, and the bottom cover is definitely not there. I can quickly model one up for you tonight.

What is the material and thickness?

What size screws? The ones in the picture look like those stubby self-threading flat heads from a bygone PC modding era.

• Like 2

• PFarm changed the title to Milo V1.5 CNC Bench Mill - Water Cooled